Monday, April 29, 2013

But For The Grace of God

     Anger, shock, pride, even fear. All of these have been connected to the bombing at the Boston marathon. All are predictable, legitimate responses to what happened two weeks ago. The thing that I don't hear mentioned is forgiveness. Maybe it is too early for many of you to even begin thinking about forgiveness, but I want to gently remind you that it is on the list. You have to get to it and sooner is better than later.

     I know that it isn't fair of me to talk about forgiving this young man who caused so much pain and destruction. His actions resulted in the deaths of friends, family, and neighbors. He changed the way you look at your city, the activities that you are involved in, the way you live your life day to day. He and others like him have forever changed our lives.

     Who am I to tell you to forgive him? He didn't kill anyone that I know personally. He didn't hurt my family. My children don't have nightmares because of what he did. Who am I? I am totally depraved human being. I am one who is just as guilty as this young man. I have caused as much pain and destruction as he has. I am one who has been forgiven much. Only because of that forgiveness am I able to love. Only because of the unfathomable love of the one who I hurt immeasurably am I made new.

    I am not what I once was. Forgiveness changed my life. For those of you who have experienced it, forgiveness has changed yours too. I know it is hard, but if we ask our merciful God for help, he will give it. Through Him, we can find the ability to forgive. Through Him, this man's life can be radically changed. Don't we want to see that? Don't we long to see a young man who has a heart full of hatred for Americans and the God of the Bible changed into a child of the King? It would bring me great joy to enter the gates of heaven and find him there singing the praises of our Heavenly Father. Because of that, I choose to forgive, and I choose to pray for him. Everyday. I know that God has the power to change the most vile of hearts into those who seek after Him. I know because I have seen Him do it in my life. I hope to see Him do it in this life too.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment